Skip to main content

How To: Organize and Differentiate Math Centers




How To: Organize and Differentiate Math Centers




Differentiation means creating opportunities for all students to learn in the classroom. Each student has different math needs and with these simple tips it is easy to differentiate during math centers!

I strongly believe that math centers are important because it allows students to practice different math skills and it helps you differentiate their learning. I set up my math centers similar to the daily five reading centers. However, typically I only do math centers twice or so a week after they have learned a specific skill or two. However, throughout the entire week I still differentiate and meet daily with my students who struggle with math.

The Centers:

1.     Meet with the teacher [Differentiated]
2.     Task cards with small group [Differentiated]
3.     Math game or another small group activity
4.     Independent work [Differentiated]
5.     iPad [Differentiated]

I use this set up because it allows students to work with many different people and work on their own too, which I use for the assessment.

Center #1 Meet with the teacher




At this center we practice multiple skills throughout the year and it is all based on what they need to be successful. For example, some students are working on addition and subtraction with regrouping, while others are working on multi-step story problems, and another group might work on open-ended math questions to really get them thinking! At this center I do not use worksheets. Instead I use dry erase boards and will sometimes print out story problems/questions. This way we can learn and discuss specific skills they need to be successful.  The most important thing that occurs when students’ work with me is the discussion part; this allows students to learn from one another and they sometimes learn a new way of thinking about math. Letting them learn from peers makes things click.

Sometimes working with me is a time for me to reteach and practice skills that they struggled with on the previous assessment. I rather build them up on necessary skills rather than move on until I believe they have an understanding of the material.

Center #2:  Task cards with a small group [Differentiated]

I love love love task cards! I make several for my students and differentiate them by color-coding the cards. If everyone is working on the same new skill/concept I just use one set of task cards that are differentiated. However, when my students are practicing different skills I pull task cards that are still their color but from different sets I have created for different skills. I keep track of these with a checklist so I know what each student has completed.



 Each task card set for each group is color-coded. My students know what color they are and complete those task cards.  Each student has 12 task cards at their own level and they practice the specific skill I worked with them on that day. My groups often go from working with me to this center. However, my highest students will start here because they are able to complete this on their own.

By allowing my students to complete task cards on the skills they need after my mini lesson with their small group they are continuing to learn the skill by working with a team and solving problems together. This allows them to learn from each other and they continue to grow in the specific skill they need help with.

If you would like to check out any pre-made differentiated task cards please click the links below! I have created several different task cards with specific skills and use these all the time!

Center #3 Math game or another small group activity




When I set up my math centers I tell my students who is working with me and who is at the task card station. Other than that they can pick to go to the math game if there is a spot available, iPad, or work independently.

My math games vary each week. I have bought a ton of math games or I set up math card games to play! I will be sharing math games that I use in a future post. The math games focus on the specific math skill that we are working on in class. Students will play these games with a variety of students from other math levels and can learn from others.

Center #4 Independent Work 


(Picture above includes my differentiated morning work pages and my differentiated fraction pages)


My independent work center is very important. This is a differentiated center and is typically a worksheet designed for each students needs. For example, whatever skill I worked with them on in small groups is on the front and the back is the skill we are working on as a class in our math unit. This works great for an assessment to see how well the small group session went and how well they understand the math concept we are working on in class.

Again, the best way for me to differentiate is by color! When students go to this center they find there colored folder (which also has their name on it) grab one paper and complete it individually. I allow this group to spread out so they are not working with others, I really want to see what they have learned and by giving them some space it allows them to complete it individually without the temptation to cheat.

Center #5 Technology Center

My last center is a technology center, which depending on the apps I use that particular day is also a differentiated center. To differentiate this center students have a login to their own accounts to practice skills that are at their level. For example, sometimes students play Mouse facts, which is great practice for students to memorize all of the math facts from addition to division. Other times students login to their Scootpad account and practice skills/concepts that are assigned to them by me. Or sometimes they work as a team and practice grade level standards in pairs. When working as pairs this allows students to work with each other, learn from each other, and stretches them to work together with a classmate (which can be very difficult at times). The pair partners always change based on who picked the iPad center at that time.



I love using this set up for math centers because I can differentiate the centers 80% - 100% of the time. This means all students are learning what they need in order to be successful in their math career.

The best thing about color-coding and this set up is how easy it is for students to change groups! When a student who was struggling is now on grade level they just get a new color, and if a student who was on grade level begins to struggle they just switch to a different color too. Color-coding makes it easy to rearrange groups!

Please follow my TpT store, blog, or find me at instagram @Senden's Sources. I am constantly adding my products to my store and will continue to add differentiated products to meet the needs of all the learners in your classroom! Click here to follow my store!

Thank you so much! 


Next blog post is how to differentiate during writing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to: Differentiate Instruction with Ease!

We all know differentiating instruction is very important in our classroom. We also know how hard it can be to incorporate and manage it all the time in our busy rooms. But not to fear this blog post   is here! This is the first post of several to come on how to differentiate instruction without losing your marbles. All of these ways and tricks have been fully implemented in my classroom and I have seen great success.   But first what is differentiation? In the school I work in I have felt many people have mixed up differentiation and accommodations. It is important to understand the difference. Both are great things; however, they both serve different purposes. Differentiation means teachers must modify, adapt instruction and assessments, and activities to meet the needs of students. Each student that walks into our classrooms has a different set of skills and needs. In order to teach each child we need to be prepared as teachers to meet each need. By differentiating inst

How to: Stay Organized and Differentiate Reading Centers

Another way I differentiate my classroom is through centers. I love centers because I can really teach to each students needs. I also am a huge fan of the daily five. For my reading centers I incorporate the daily five into the centers. But read-to-self time, partner reading, and writing are pulled out of centers because I want everyone doing that at the same time. Back to the centers! Here is how my reading centers are set up 1)    A center to work with me 2)    A center to work on something individually for an assessment 3)    Task card center 4)    Word Work 5)    Listen to a story/Technology Within each of these five stations I am able to differentiate activities and instruction and I do it by color-coding EVERYTHING. Literally…everything ha! It helps me stay organized, which again helps me keep my sanity. Here is how I organize and have each station set up. Rotation #1 When students come to meet with me each day looks different. However, I